Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Adjusting Aperture

Today is the first day of my participation in the Capture Your 365 project. My goal for this project is to take at least one picture everyday to improve my photography skills. Last week, I reserved a few photography books at the library and was reading through Understanding Exposure today. Our library only has the 2nd edition of this book, which is still proving to be very helpful.
 
So I decided to do a little experiment with some chess pieces. This is something that is easy to set up. I made sure my camera was sitting on a stable surface since it would be impossible to get an in focus shot while hand holding the camera at the shutter speeds I was using.
 
 ISO 100, 50mm, f/5.0, 1.6 sec
 
 ISO 100, 50mm, f/8.0, 4.0 sec
 
ISO 100, 50mm, f/22, 30.0 sec
 
When I adjusted the aperture, I needed to adjust either the shutter speed or the ISO to get a proper exposure for the photo. Since I decided to leave the ISO alone, I had to adjust the shutter speed each time. Notice the difference between each of the photos? In the near future, I would like to try this same 'experiment' with moving objects to compare the results.
 
In this experiment, I would have to say that my favorite photo of the day would be the middle picture. I like that the snowman pillow in the background is not quite in focus,  but you can make out that it is there. Which one is your favorite?

1 comment:

  1. I had a quick moment and wanted to stop by and say "Hi". Great experiment! Your photography is very, very nice. You encourage me to keep practicing. Blessings to your family.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, don't you? If you have taken the time to visit, please take the time to leave a comment. Then I can visit you back!