Thursday, December 27, 2012

A little photography experiment

Today, I did something I haven't done yet with my photos...I shot RAW! This morning, I formatted a memory card (which basically erases everything on your memory card). This way I was able to start with a fresh, empty memory card since RAW files take up a lot of space.
 
Then I went into the shooting menu on my camera and changed the image quality to RAW. According to my 'Nikon D3100 for Dummies' book, shooting RAW will give you 'greater creative control', 'higher bit depth', and the 'best picture quality'. Shooting RAW requires you to edit them since you can't share them like you can JPEG images.
 
When you first import your RAW photos into Lightroom, they will look very flat. So after a little bit of editing, here are some photos I took today:
 
 1/10 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100, 55mm
 
 1/6 sec, f/3.2, ISO 100, 50mm
 
 0.4 sec, f/7.1, ISO 100, 200mm
 
0.8 sec, f/7.1, ISO 100, 200 mm
 
I wish I could show the before photos on each of these! Once I figure that out, I will try to post the before and after photos so you can see the difference also.
 
The January photo list has been e-mailed for the Capture Your 365 challenge. I am looking forward to it! Will you join me?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, don't you? If you have taken the time to visit, please take the time to leave a comment. Then I can visit you back!