Wednesday, September 26, 2012

King Tut

As Kelsey and I were walking up to the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum today, I kept thinking about Steve Martin singing his King Tut song. And of course there is also, Walk Like an Egyptian by the Bangles. Anyway... :o)

We are using Mystery of History I for our history curriculum this year. I went through this book years ago with both kids. Kelsey was pretty little then, so it was time to do a second run through with her. A couple of weeks ago, we completed Lesson 11 and the recommended activity is to visit an Egyptian display in your area. So today was field trip day to the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum. Apparently, it houses the largest display of Egyptian artifacts in the western part of North America. Pretty impressive!

Here are some pictures of our day:

 Outside the museum, we found this really strange looking statue
 
 Replica of King Tut's coffin
 
 On our way down into the tomb...
 
 ...inside the tomb, kind of felt like we were on the set of Night at the Museum!
 
 Walking like an Egyptian!
 
A really old cartouche, and the card actually still has B.C. on it, instead of B.C.E.
 
 Replica of the Rosetta Stone
 
 Replica of the stone with Hammurabi's code
 
 Hanging Gardens of Babylon
 
Nefertiti
 
I am so glad we took the time to go out to this museum today! We were able to see a lot of things that we will be covering in upcoming lessons. If you are nearby the San Jose, California area, you should really make the time to visit this museum! In fact, I will add it to my Great Field Trips page. Have you had a chance to visit my Great Field Trips page? I am going to be adding to this list, so keep checking back to see where we have gone for some field trips over the years.
 
Do you have some favorite field trip destinations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, don't you? If you have taken the time to visit, please take the time to leave a comment. Then I can visit you back!